“I was outside shoveling dirt, while my husband was operating the tractor. Our young daughter Ashlynn was inside.
Suddenly we heard a very loud BOOM, and, then, screams coming from inside the house.
Ashlynn came running to us on fire from the waist up.
Her long brown hair was completely fried.
She was burned on her head, face, ears, hands, and legs.
Her body was cut from the shards of glass (the shower door had exploded).
She kept repeating, “I’m sorry momma, I thought it was a candle.”
It was a firecracker that sizzled for a second and caught fire.
She tried to put out the fire with a towel and the towel burst into flames.
The fire had spread to my side of the vanity where there were a few aerosol cans.
The explosion shattered the shower door.
We grabbed her up and drove her to our local ER.
She was life-flighted from our hometown of Tahlequah, Oklahoma to the closest city where they removed a piece of glass the size of a pea from her eye.
Then we were flown to Galveston to the Shriner’s Burns Hospital for Children.
We were in that hospital for a month.
She is so courageous.
We continued to return there every few months for check-ups and it was always the same–like going home.
Hospital staff = family.
Now, her hair is growing back, she is enjoying school, and back to riding her dirt bike.
She is partially blind in one eye, but she has learned to compensate.
She is doing better with the stares and questions.
She has come a long way and has been so strong and resilient.
We thank God every day we still have ‘our little Miracle’ in our lives.
Much love to everyone surviving a burn injury.
I believe it does get better.
We hold onto each other as we travel our common journeys.” Ashlynn’s mom
BTW-(If this is something that you would like to support, please visit us at www.ryanshines.com or follow us on FB and IG @ryanshinesburnfoundation)